Parenting Assessments

A parenting assessment may be appropriate if there are concerns about the ability of either or both parents to care for the child or where there are clinical issues, such as psychiatric or psychological difficulties.

Psychiatrists, psychologists, or social workers specializing in this field usually do assessments. An assessor will meet with the parents, child and “collaterals” such as nannies, other family members, and new partners who are familiar with the children.

An assessor will also likely speak to the child’s teachers, doctors, camp counsellors, and other key individuals to get a full understanding of the child’s life and how each parent is able to contribute to the child’s upbringing.

The assessor provides a report that can be used in a court proceeding.